Novak Djokovic Detained by Immigration Ahead of the 2022 Australian Open
MDP Live - Tennis player Novak Djokovic became a byword in early 2022. The Serbian man stumbled into a problem when he was about to take part in the 2022 Australian Open Grand Slam. Djokovic had been detained by Australian immigration.
Djokovic had problems when he entered Australia because he had not been vaccinated against Covid-19. Djokovic dared to fly to Australia even though he had not been vaccinated because he had been exposed to Covid-19 and had been declared cured since December 2021.
Novak Djokovic arrived in Australia on Wednesday (5/1/2022). The world number one claimed to have received a medical exemption permit from the Tennis Australia tournament organizer, and was followed up by the Australian Department of Home Affairs. This exception allows him to enter Australia even though he has not been vaccinated.
The man nicknamed the Joker has submitted ownership of the Australian Travel Declaration document to the Australian Border Force. But Djokovic was still barred from entering Australia by the country's border forces on Wednesday (5/1/2022).
Even Djokovic had to undergo immigration detention in Melbourne for four days before undergoing trial on Monday (10/1/2022).
An Australian federal court judge later ruled that Djokovic had not violated immigration rules. Djokovic was allowed to continue his journey in Australia.
Judge Anthony Kelly has overturned the Australian Government's decision to cancel Djokovic's visa and ordered the Serbian tennis star to be released within 30 minutes of the decision.
However, the problem does not seem to have ended here. According to a CNN report, there is still the possibility of Djokovic being deported from Australia. Australia's Immigration Minister Alex Hawke is said to be "monitoring the situation as it evolves".
Alex Hawke apparently has the personal power to cancel the Serbian star's visa despite his successful court case.
Bencic is positive for COVID-19, his symptoms are severe
MDP Live - Olympic women's tennis champion Belinda Bencic has tested positive for COVID-19 after a trip to Abu Dhabi and her infection is classified as having "severe symptoms", she was quoted as saying by Reuters on Wednesday.
This incident came a day after Rafael Nadal also announced that he had tested positive for the disease.
The two players last week traveled to Abu Dhabi to play in the exhibition event Mubadala World Tennis Championshipu.
Nadal said he had an "unpleasant moment" after testing positive on his return to Spain.
"Unfortunately and although I have been fully vaccinated, I recently tested positive for COVID-19," Bencic said on Twitter.
I'm currently self-isolating and taking all precautions to get through this condition as best I can as I'm experiencing fairly severe symptoms (fever, pain, chills).
"Although the timing is not ideal as I am in the final stages of preparation for the Australian Open, I will be leaving for Australia as soon as I am released and through isolation."
Bencic was beaten by Tunisian Ons Jabeur who replaced US Open champion Emma Raducanu who tested positive for COVID-19 and later withdrew from the tournament.
The Australian Open starts January 17 next year.
Nadal exposed to Covid-19 on his return to Spain
MDP Live - Bad luck continues to approach the Spaniard, Rafael Nadal. After being smothered in injury, he now has to be exposed to the corona virus.
In August, Rafael Nadal suffered a leg injury that kept him out for four months. These conditions made Nadal have to be eliminated at Roland Garros in the semifinals.
He was also forced to withdraw from a number of other prestigious tournaments such as Wimbledon, the Tokyo Olympics, and the US Open.
After his condition began to recover, Rafael Nadal tried his performance in an exhibition tennis tournament which was held in Abu Dhabi.
While competing at the Mubadala World Tennis Championships in Abu Dhabi, Nadal always underwent a routine Covid-19 PCR test to confirm his condition.
The last test was carried out on Friday last week and the result was negative. Rafael Nadal then returned to his hometown in Spain and again underwent a PCR test.
Unfortunately, Nadal tested positive for the corona virus from the test results. The 35-year-old tennis player was then asked to self-isolate until his condition completely recovered.
"I would like to announce that upon my arrival at home, after playing in the Abu Dhabi tournament, I tested positive for COVID-19.
Rafael Nadal's bad luck continues
Rafael Nadal admits that now he has to go through difficult times while self-isolating. However, Nadal hopes to recover soon and return to action on the tennis court.
"I had some unpleasant moments. But I hope to recover little by little. I am now at home and have reported the results to those who have been in contact with me," said the Barcelona Open champion.
"As a result of this situation, I have to be flexible with my calendar and I will analyze my options depending on the conditions. I will keep you informed of any decisions about my upcoming tournaments."
Rafael Nadal also can not guarantee to appear in the Australian Open tournament which is scheduled to start on January 17 next. This incident really made Nadal like he had fallen down the stairs.